Winter Harvest Philadelphia
Winter Harvest has ended for its 2012-13 season.
Please return to this page in early October for the announcement of the 2013-14 season.
Farmers and value-added producers using locally-sourced ingredients: call if you want us to consider your products for Winter Harvest – 215 733-9599.
Interested in hearing more about our sourcing, projects and other programs of Farm to City? Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!
TO BE READY FOR THE NEXT WINTER HARVEST SEASON, JOIN NOW. CLICK ON APPLICATION FORM AT LEFT, FILL IT OUT AND SUBMIT IT. ACTIVE MEMBERS FROM PREVIOUS SEASONS DO NOT NEED TO REAPPLY.
New!! For those of you who want to add money to your account on a weekly basis, please use the "subscribe" button below. It will automatically bill you each week for the amount you choose and you can cancel the subscription any time.
WHAT IS WINTER HARVEST?
Winter Harvest is a buying club from which you can order locally produced food during the winter and spring months, when CSAs and most farmers' markets are not operating. Members submit their orders through this website, to be delivered weekly to sites in Philadelphia and towns west, east and north of Philadelphia. See Delivery Locations, below.
By ordering from Winter Harvest, you will be using your purchasing power to support local farmers and to become part of a growing movement that promotes family farming, environmental stewardship, good health and fresh, delicious food.
Read a recent article in the Philadelphia Inquirer about Winter Harvest!
Winter Harvest offers high quality, sustainably produced foods, many of which are otherwise not available to urban households.
Through Winter Harvest You Can:
- Order on-line from a list of over 500 food items and other products grown or produced in the Philadelphia region: root crops, meat, poultry, eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese, herbs, preserves, baked goods, honey, and more.
- Feel secure about your selections: most vegetables are from certified organic farms. Many meat, poultry, and dairy products are from organically raised, grass-fed animals.
- From November to April, order from our list every two weeks for deliveries on each Thursday for the following two weeks (no delivery in the fifth week of any month).
- Order what you want, when you want it. No minimum order.
- Open your account You can add money to your account using PayPal or a check. (If you already a member, you do not need to reapply.)
- Choose your delivery location from the list of communities in the Philadelphia area.
- Support family owned farms and other small businesses in the region.
The Winter Harvest product list is updated twice a month. After an order period opens, members have 6 days to order.
- Ambler (near Butler and Bethlehem Pike)
- Bryn Mawr (near train station)
- Center City (near Rittenhouse Square)
- Chestnut Hill
- Collingswood, NJ
- Elkins Park (near 611 and Spring Ave.)
- Elkins Park (near 611 and Church Rd.)
- Huntingdon Valley (Rydal)
- Mt Airy
- Society Hill
- South Philadelphia
- West Philadelphia
- Jefferson University Hospital
Farm to City Commitment
Farm to City's mission is to unite communities, families, and farmers year round through good local food; our slogan: Real Farmers, Real Food. We strive to bring healthful food products from family farms and other small producers to appreciative households in the Philadelphia area. We select the producers for Winter Harvest based on their quality products and their commitment to sustainable agricultural practices, including organic farming and pasture management.
Winter Harvest responds to the need to connect urban residents to the real food that local farmers grow in the winter months.
So much of the food eaten by Americans is picked or processed in far away places by huge corporations remote from our scrutiny. We don't know who grew or raised it, how farm workers are treated, whether animals are treated humanely, what land and pest management practices are used, and how long the food took to get here. When we get our food from local farmers, we are much more connected to the land and can get answers to these important questions.
Winter Harvest supports local family farmers who are under intense economic pressure due to artificially low food prices and the agricultural policies and programs that favor corporate farming. We include in our list food and other items produced by several small Philadelphia businesses with values similar to our own.
We hope you share our objective of supporting family farms and small food processing businesses, through the combined purchasing power that Winter Harvest provides.